|Date of first acceptance||1985||Total acceptances||50|
|Manufacturer||General Motors Canada||Crew||
|Wheelbase||Front to 2nd axle: 43.3"
Front to 3rd axle: 95.9"
Front to rear axle: 136.8"
Front to 2nd axle: 110cm
Front to 3rd axle: 244cm
Front to rear axle: 347.5cm
|81mm Mortar M252||Mount in hull center||90||360°
|7.62mm M60 or M240E1 MG||Flexible in pintle mount||1000 rounds||Manual||Manual|
|Image intensifying periscope for driver and commander|
|Rolled hard homogeneous steel|
|Engine||General Motors 6V53T; 6 cylinder, 2 cycle, vee, supercharged diesel|
|Horsepower||Gross: 275@2800rpm||Torque||Gross: 586 ft-lb@2000rpm||Fuel capacity||71gal
|Transmission||Allison MT653, 5 speeds forward, 1 reverse|
|Type||Road wheels||Shock absorbers|
|Front 2 axles: Independent coil spring
Rear 2 axles: Torsion bar
|4/side||On each wheel|
|Max level road speed||62mph
|Max water speed||6.5mph
|Max vertical obstacle||19.7"
|Min turning diameter||50.8'
|Max fording depth||Floats||Cruising range||~400mi, roads
The LAV-M was the LAV-25 with its 25mm gun turret replaced by a mount for the 81mm mortar. A three-section folding cover was installed over the mortar to permit firing from the vehicle. The commander was moved to a cupola directly behind the driver, and the machine gun was mounted at the commander's station. The smoke grenade launchers were attached to the hull roof since there was no longer a turret. The mortar crew was provided with a bench along the right side of the fighting compartment, and mortar ammunition was stowed along the opposite side of the rear compartment. The fuel tank was relocated from under the rear floor in the LAV-25 to the left side of the rear compartment.